Constant Movement

Full sail, I voyage
Over the boundless ocean, and I tell you
Nothing is permanent in all the world.
All things are fluent; every image forms,
Wandering through change. Time is itself a river
In constant movement, and the hours flow by
Like water, wave on wave, pursued and pursuing,
Forever fugitive, forever new.
~ Ovid, Metamorphoses

The lengthening days and changing song of the birds foretell the advent of Spring. Spring, a time of renewal and birth, is a joyous season and an opportunity to breathe out after holding a long winter’s breath.

I give thanks daily for the fact that the natural world is in constant movement. Life’s many forms come and go in cycles of various duration, and birth, growth and maturation come and go as surely as the rising and setting of the sun. If life was static – no matter how ideally arranged – it would eventually become stale to our consciousness as it is designed. Man is designed to thrive on change, on newness and transformation.

Life’s vicissitudes trouble those who base their sense of security, meaning and fulfillment on the forms that clothe life for so doing is to build one’s foundation upon the proverbial sand. Happiness cannot be bottled and that which brings happiness cannot be pickled. The idea that you can pursue, obtain and retain some form or another (e.g. the right car, the perfect relationship, the ideal home or job) and be happy is balderdash. Don’t be fooled: the form is not the source of happiness, the life that surges through it is.

Rather than bemoan the changes in your life, seize the opportunity to enjoy the newness that comes therefrom. There is a reason that watching a lazy stream flow by on a Spring day is universally refreshing and delightful. We are hard-wired to appreciate and make best use of change, no matter how much we try to convince ourselves to the contrary.

The beginning, middle, and end of the birth, growth, and perfection of whatever we behold is from contraries, by contraries, and to contraries; and whatever contrarity is, there is action and reaction, there is motion, diversity, multitude, and order, there are degrees, succession and vicissitude.” ~ Giordano Bruno

This entry was posted in Observations on Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Constant Movement

1. Kolya says:

Beautiful poem, beautiful message.

I really enjoy the change of seasons -any season- more than any other time of the year. Change is exciting! Especially if you’re not looking to carve out your piece of the world and then defend it from all comers. Doing that just shows that you don’t understand fundamentally how things work. Enjoy life’s lulls too, but when the changes come you have a chance to either resist it and be miserable, or go with it and put the momentum you were talking about the other day to good use!

3. Joshua says:

Deeply appreciate this refreshing reminder!
    Puts everythinng into perspective that needs to be for now, and eager for what’s to come, as I trust it will be even more wonderful than the former. I have been guilty of the tendency mentioned above, in the manner of clinging to the security of what has come as a result of change….realizing this I look forward to embracing change more fully, for it provides a solid foundation, as it is the only constant!
    Thank-you.

4. Kai Newell says:

I love Bruno’s quote. Wonderful post. Thank you!

5. Mitch Webb says:

Awesome!

6. Estelle says:

A perfect post to welcome Spring! Very beautiful sentiments.

7. Lady Leo says:

Thought of this poem when I read your blog today. Hope you enjoy it as I do.

The Celestial Surgeon by Robert Louis Stevenson

If I have faltered more or less
    In my great task of happiness;
    If I have moved amoung my race
    And shown no shining morning face;
    If beams from happy human eyes
    Have moved me not;if morning skies,
    Books, and my food, and summer rain
    Knocked on my sullen heart in vain:-
    Lord, thy most pointed pleasure take
    And stab my spirit broad awake.

We are surrounded by blessings if we chose to see them and they are always changing!
    Thanks for the eloquent words.